Skip to main content

Morning Routine

Patrick's morning routine has evolved quickly ... as he, himself grows like a weed. The first few months were amazing; he loved to get up with us and explore a brand new world. His beginning of each new day has not become any less enthusiastic, just a bit more complicated.

I generally get up before Jen and most mornings he's been asleep as well as I left for work. A few days ago, he's added a new dimension that Jen has confessed to loving.

What has occurred is that Patrick has started waking just as I finish getting dressed, before I am completely ready to go. I generally allocate extra time to coast just before I leave. With him waking, I've gotten him from his crib ... generally crying gently (him, not me).

The first time he did this I placed him sitting on the bed, unable to get his tears to stop. I decided to lay down to rest until Jen could take him.

He stopped crying as my head hit the pillow. He gave me a curious look and moved to lay down facing me. After about ten second of staring, he lifted himself up, located his mother's pillow and dropped his head, eyes closed as soon as he touched down.

This routine has continued now for three days and is amazing ... giving both Jen and I some wonderful memories. I can't wait to see what's next.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Painful Bits

Yesterday was a long work day ... I would have said a long day at work, but I was there, headed home, then had to return in the evening to work with the evening shift. I got home early in the afternoon and basically did nothing. I tried to nap ... to no avail. When Jen got home with Patrick, I basically had time to eat dinner, then head out the door again. The truly painful part was Patrick and Jen standing on the front porch ... with Patrick screaming, reaching for me as I drove off. I heard his screams until I well out of sight. According to Jen, as soon as he realized I was not coming back right away, he stopped yelling ... turned around and started playing with the doorbell and the screen door. His discomfort lasted significantly less than mine did ... I was ready to head home for hours. What focus!

Getting Involved

This is the second night in a row that we were able to spend time and Grandma and Papap's ... Patrick enjoys it so much! We even had a rousing rendition of "Row, Row, Row Your Boat" with all five of us involved ... yes, Patrick is pitching in now. He runs from person to person, giving a bit to each one of us ... there is never a dull moment. Tonight, he repeated a new activity from last night. Last night, it was getting everyone involved in chasing him around the house ... tonight, we had this activity, but what we saw was that he wanted to play different games and wanted certain people involved. This is when he went to each person that needed to be involved and grabbed a finger, pulling them along. He even checked every now and then to make sure they were still following. Such an amazing child ... knows how to ensure that we sleep well.

What If?

Jen and I have asked ourselves few questions along the way ... I'm sure there will be more, but here are some of the answers we have found: What if he drinks the bath water? He might feel queasy or get diarrhea if the water is soapy, but he will not have a problem with germs unless he bathes with someone else, says Philip Tierno, Ph.D., director of clinical microbiology at New York University Medical Center, in New York City, and author of The Secret Life of Germs. Wash children one at a time, and try not to let them drink the water. What if he sticks his finger into a socket? Standard household current would give a child a mild shock, similar to that from static electricity, says Liza DeWitt, M.D., a pediatrician at Children's Hospital of Wisconsin, in Milwaukee. The child would be startled and probably pull his hand away, but electrical skin burns can still occur. What can be more serious is not pulling away immediately, which can put him at risk of internal o...