Skip to main content

Sore Butt

We all had a rough night last night.  Apparently, when Patrick has teeth coming in, his rear end gets sore ... I don't know why, but once Jen and I made the correlation, my parents told me that's the way it was with me ... way, way, way back.

He's got another tooth coming in ... and, both ends are in pain (getting better now ... rough last night). Trying to get him to sleep was challenging to say the least.

I had to pat his lower back firmly while bouncing hard enough to make my calves sore in mere moments ... I wasn't given the option of just bouncing him with my arms (he could tell the difference).  Anything else resulted in screaming.

As I finally got him to sleep, I was able to stop the patting and bouncing and sat down to let him get into a deeper sleep.  After about an hour, I put him into the crib ...

Then, as Jen and I finally laid down, his little head popped up over the edge of the crib and another scream of pain was let out.  Again, I picked him up (remember, don't touch the butt).  Bouncing and patting didn't have quite the same effect, but eventually he settled down and slept.  This time, I moved into the bed with Patrick cuddled on top of me.

He slept for a few minutes when the head came up again ... it looked like another wailing session. But no, he rolled to the side and fell into the crook of my arm facing up ... blissfully silent, angelic sleep ensued.

I held him until my arm went completely numb and asked Jen to get him since there was no way I couldn't lift him ... without dropping him (one arm asleep, remember).  He slept ... for about three whole hours, this time.

Again, he screamed ... I was no good this time, so Jen stepped in and tried.  After a solid thirty minutes of screaming, I gave in again and turned on the television, expecting to simply ride it out.  After all, I had to get up for work in an hour anyway.

As soon as the screen came to life, so did he ... issue solved. His head popped up, eyes bright and all screaming stopped. No issues since (and, yes the redness did finally fade).

I can't wait to see what adventures tonight brings ...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trained Well ...

We headed over to see Grandma and Papap after work. They had taken the time to pick up Patrick from daycare ... so cool, giving us a few quiet minutes. The silence was so amazing ... Patrick and Grandma showed us the new boots he got ... again, so cool! At one point during the night, Patrick was being chased around the house (they have a nice large circle you can run around in their house) ... by Papap. He stopped at one point and grabbed his Mama's hand and got her into the chasing. Not long after that, Grandma was pulled into the chase, as well. So there I was watching my father, mother, and wife chasing my son around the house, like some super-cool train (yes, I did get pulled into chasing hi, as well ... but at that point, I was allowed to sit back and laugh) ... we are all so well trained!

A Simple Evening

We had my parents over for dinner last night ... Patrick and Jen prepared dinner, even going as far as making brownies for desert! It was very cool watching Patrick cuddle with his Grandfather. It is always amazing to me how those two get along. It was also very cool watching Patrick and his Grandmother read a book together ... Before dinner, he got a chance to show off the cast-iron toy stove that Jen had played with as a child. This has become one of his favorite toys ... the parts certainly make a lot of noise when he tosses them across the room. At dinner, I sat next to Patrick, across from his grandparents ... their expressions as they watched him were sheer joy and a joy to watch, as well. At one point, I asked Patrick to show them the Moon and Stars in his room. He has a humidifier that lights up, projecting colored starts and a moon on the ceiling ... he loves them. He immediately headed for the stairs, and turned to his grandparents and signaled come on ... a q

See If It Sticks

I do not remember quite when I first heard the phrase, "Throw it against the wall and see if it sticks." It could have been my mother, grandmother, or aunt ... it could have been someone along the way as I learned to cook. But, this phrase is one that comes to mind whenever I am cooking an Italian meal. Recently, this phrase has taken on new meaning for me as a father and as a cook. Patrick has taken to throwing food and with his seat near a wall, we have had spaghetti, yogurt, and macaroni plastered to the wall ... to name just a few foods. And, I am sure there are more foods on their way.