Skip to main content

First Ballgame

At sixteen months old, Patrick has been introduced to baseball ... Reds versus Pirates, last night.

Papap and I drove down with Patrick to Cincinnati to meet Mama and Grandma (they were at a conference).

It was Patrick's first game, so he got a First Visit Certificate ... pretty cool. We had tickets in left-field ... good location, but they included free hotdogs, popcorn, peanuts, and drinks! With a son that loves hotdogs and popcorn, he was in heaven, even before we threw in all the other stuff ...

It was 9/11, so there were a variety of military, law enforcement, and emergency services present ... very cool! There were parachutists from the US Army, 101st Airborne ... Patrick's head was pointing straight up for almost ten minutes.

There were fireworks ... not a lot, just enough to make Patrick nervous ... yet able to enjoy the show.

The game was great and having my whole family there enjoying it with me was even better.

I have to tell the story about the food, before I forget ...

I got three hotdogs ... figuring Patrick and I could knock them out. Once I got to the seat, I realized I needed a drink for Patrick. Off I went ... by the time I got back, all the hotdogs were gone. Jen simply stated that she thought I got them for all of us ... I suppose I did. So, off I went again.

This time, when I got to the vendors, I told them that my wife and son finished off the first batch so they gave me four this time. Long story short, I got one and had to make another run ... getting a few more 'dogs and some popcorn ... apparently that was a hit too and I had to make another run for more popcorn.

Asked to get beer, as well ... I was shocked but not surprised that we had to pay for the beer (I won't even mention prices). One beer and some popcorn later, I found I only had one more bathroom run to make ... so, five runs up and down the stairs (I did get to watch most of the game) later, I had an awesome night that I will remember for a long time.

And, one final note ... I slept very well after all the steps ...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Painful Bits

Yesterday was a long work day ... I would have said a long day at work, but I was there, headed home, then had to return in the evening to work with the evening shift. I got home early in the afternoon and basically did nothing. I tried to nap ... to no avail. When Jen got home with Patrick, I basically had time to eat dinner, then head out the door again. The truly painful part was Patrick and Jen standing on the front porch ... with Patrick screaming, reaching for me as I drove off. I heard his screams until I well out of sight. According to Jen, as soon as he realized I was not coming back right away, he stopped yelling ... turned around and started playing with the doorbell and the screen door. His discomfort lasted significantly less than mine did ... I was ready to head home for hours. What focus!

Getting Involved

This is the second night in a row that we were able to spend time and Grandma and Papap's ... Patrick enjoys it so much! We even had a rousing rendition of "Row, Row, Row Your Boat" with all five of us involved ... yes, Patrick is pitching in now. He runs from person to person, giving a bit to each one of us ... there is never a dull moment. Tonight, he repeated a new activity from last night. Last night, it was getting everyone involved in chasing him around the house ... tonight, we had this activity, but what we saw was that he wanted to play different games and wanted certain people involved. This is when he went to each person that needed to be involved and grabbed a finger, pulling them along. He even checked every now and then to make sure they were still following. Such an amazing child ... knows how to ensure that we sleep well.

What If?

Jen and I have asked ourselves few questions along the way ... I'm sure there will be more, but here are some of the answers we have found: What if he drinks the bath water? He might feel queasy or get diarrhea if the water is soapy, but he will not have a problem with germs unless he bathes with someone else, says Philip Tierno, Ph.D., director of clinical microbiology at New York University Medical Center, in New York City, and author of The Secret Life of Germs. Wash children one at a time, and try not to let them drink the water. What if he sticks his finger into a socket? Standard household current would give a child a mild shock, similar to that from static electricity, says Liza DeWitt, M.D., a pediatrician at Children's Hospital of Wisconsin, in Milwaukee. The child would be startled and probably pull his hand away, but electrical skin burns can still occur. What can be more serious is not pulling away immediately, which can put him at risk of internal o...