Skip to main content

Technologies Children

As a parent ... raised in the days of voice contact, seeing children converse in the same room via cell phones and fingers ... I feel like a throw-back, a relic of some lost age. Even today, I find myself cringing when I call and get an automated system.

What happened to our conversational skills.

The question today is, who needs a voice when our children can tap on a touch screen faster and more efficiently than any of us ever though possible. Hung up on inflection and tone, can't we just hop on Skype for those important conversations (yes, you can connect Skype directly to the television).

Parents are important in this new age of technology ... someone has to buy the phone, maintain the plan, and replace damaged devices. We even have to tell our children to stop texting at the dinner table, as well as to turn the phone off before going to bed.

Being a parent and watching my child's fascination ... and, eventually becoming an extension of the phone, I sometimes wonder if the tech-child I am raising will become just one of many in an army of tech-adults. Is this the army that will be the end of mankind, or will it just move us one step closer to that "paperless" society we imagined when personal computers came into the home?

What will Patrick's teen-age years be like ... what will relationships be like ... will he find his way and fit into an ever more complex society. In every age, there are great minds ... great thinkers that come forward. Are we seeing the beginnings of some new technology or communication that will befuddle my son as he watches the next generation growing up?

At some point, we have to stop doubting. We have to assume they will move the world forward ... with a cell-phone in hand.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trained Well ...

We headed over to see Grandma and Papap after work. They had taken the time to pick up Patrick from daycare ... so cool, giving us a few quiet minutes. The silence was so amazing ... Patrick and Grandma showed us the new boots he got ... again, so cool! At one point during the night, Patrick was being chased around the house (they have a nice large circle you can run around in their house) ... by Papap. He stopped at one point and grabbed his Mama's hand and got her into the chasing. Not long after that, Grandma was pulled into the chase, as well. So there I was watching my father, mother, and wife chasing my son around the house, like some super-cool train (yes, I did get pulled into chasing hi, as well ... but at that point, I was allowed to sit back and laugh) ... we are all so well trained!

A Simple Evening

We had my parents over for dinner last night ... Patrick and Jen prepared dinner, even going as far as making brownies for desert! It was very cool watching Patrick cuddle with his Grandfather. It is always amazing to me how those two get along. It was also very cool watching Patrick and his Grandmother read a book together ... Before dinner, he got a chance to show off the cast-iron toy stove that Jen had played with as a child. This has become one of his favorite toys ... the parts certainly make a lot of noise when he tosses them across the room. At dinner, I sat next to Patrick, across from his grandparents ... their expressions as they watched him were sheer joy and a joy to watch, as well. At one point, I asked Patrick to show them the Moon and Stars in his room. He has a humidifier that lights up, projecting colored starts and a moon on the ceiling ... he loves them. He immediately headed for the stairs, and turned to his grandparents and signaled come on ... a q

See If It Sticks

I do not remember quite when I first heard the phrase, "Throw it against the wall and see if it sticks." It could have been my mother, grandmother, or aunt ... it could have been someone along the way as I learned to cook. But, this phrase is one that comes to mind whenever I am cooking an Italian meal. Recently, this phrase has taken on new meaning for me as a father and as a cook. Patrick has taken to throwing food and with his seat near a wall, we have had spaghetti, yogurt, and macaroni plastered to the wall ... to name just a few foods. And, I am sure there are more foods on their way.