15 November 2012

What If?


Jen and I have asked ourselves few questions along the way ... I'm sure there will be more, but here are some of the answers we have found:

What if he drinks the bath water?

He might feel queasy or get diarrhea if the water is soapy, but he will not have a problem with germs unless he bathes with someone else, says Philip Tierno, Ph.D., director of clinical microbiology at New York University Medical Center, in New York City, and author of The Secret Life of Germs.

Wash children one at a time, and try not to let them drink the water.
What if he sticks his finger into a socket?

Standard household current would give a child a mild shock, similar to that from static electricity, says Liza DeWitt, M.D., a pediatrician at Children's Hospital of Wisconsin, in Milwaukee. The child would be startled and probably pull his hand away, but electrical skin burns can still occur. What can be more serious is not pulling away immediately, which can put him at risk of internal organ damage. All children who have received a significant electrical shock need to see their doctor for evaluation.

Cover the sockets ... those little plastic things are pretty inexpensive. Also, watch them!

1 comment: