Skip to main content

Self-Discipline

Self-discipline is a principle that needs to be integrated into one's way of live life.  When it comes time for Patrick to learn learn the lesson, it will likely come as a constant progression through his early years, rather than as an abrupt checkpoint in his life .

Self-discipline is not a personality trait or natural gift; it is something that can be encouraged and developed over time.

Self-discipline is doing something you don't want to do but know you need to do for a long-term benefit.  Responsible adults generally become that way by choosing to deny the immediate impulses that cross their path and planning a course toward what they hope to achieve.

Being committed to raising a responsible child, I must make the effort to teach Patrick self-discipline.

I know that there are a few basics when it comes to self-disciple. An individual with self-discipline needs to:

  1. Have a Goal.
  2. Have opportunity to Practice.
  3. Maintain a steady Pace when working toward the goal.
  4. Focus on Reasons for success, rather than excuses for failure.

I can't coddle him as he gets older.  Basically, this means I shouldn't protect him from the consequences of his choices.  I know this will be a painful thing for me to achieve.  This means I will have to give in to what the he wants many times, regardless of whether or not it's good for him in the long run.  As he begins to make decisions, at times I will have to allow him to make the wrong choice when I know he will learn from his mistakes.  This doesn't mean that I am going to let him harm himself or ruin his future.  He needs to be able to make choices that involve smaller consequences.  Through these smaller, practice choices he can have something go wrong that does not have irreparable consequences.  Most people learn well from making mistakes.

He needs to be involved in something beyond family, where he can learn self-disciple in a group environment.  He has to learn be committed to practice, attend events, and even practice at home or with friends.  In order to develop his skills, he needs to say "no" to other things that don't contribute to his goal.  I know that when he becomes involved in something that causes him to stretch, he will learn self-discipline more easily.

As with anything else in life, I have to model self-discipline.  Children learn by example and Patrick needs to learn that self-discipline is important to me.

I need to teach, as well as model, proper anger management.  Anger is a common emotion, and when I am angry, I tend to be less in control than in almost any other situation.  I generally step away from a situation when I feel myself getting angry and take some time after I cool down talking through what I could have done differently with Jen (my wife) ... I need to make sure Patrick develops a method for properly handling is anger.

I need to focus on ways to keep our lives simpler ... Patrick needs to see that material things are less important than intangibles that often matter more.  Children see new things their friends have and want to have the same things, regardless of family income or attitude.

For me as a father, a few simple choices and activities will have huge positive results in helping Patrick develop proper self-discipline.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Hello?"

We walked into my parents house ... looking for Papap. "Hello," we called. "'Ello," Patrick mimicked. "Hello," we called again, laughing a bit. "'Ello," Patrick mimicked again, delighted that he could get us laughing that easily. Out in the back yard, he went for the shovel (small blue plastic one I got for him a while back). "Maybe he should go shovel in the sand-box," Papap said ... Off he went to the sand-box, lugging the shovel. Later I asked him if he wanted raisins. Shaking his head no, he headed for the fridge. "Eeze," he said ... Cheese, he intended. His comprehension and vocal capacity is growing by leaps and bounds!

A Simple Evening

We had my parents over for dinner last night ... Patrick and Jen prepared dinner, even going as far as making brownies for desert! It was very cool watching Patrick cuddle with his Grandfather. It is always amazing to me how those two get along. It was also very cool watching Patrick and his Grandmother read a book together ... Before dinner, he got a chance to show off the cast-iron toy stove that Jen had played with as a child. This has become one of his favorite toys ... the parts certainly make a lot of noise when he tosses them across the room. At dinner, I sat next to Patrick, across from his grandparents ... their expressions as they watched him were sheer joy and a joy to watch, as well. At one point, I asked Patrick to show them the Moon and Stars in his room. He has a humidifier that lights up, projecting colored starts and a moon on the ceiling ... he loves them. He immediately headed for the stairs, and turned to his grandparents and signaled come on ... a q

Grandma, Papap, and a Cell Phone

His visit with Grandma and Papap was cool. We played with everyone ... kind of bouncing in between. We ate dinner. This went well until I gave him Grandma's old cell phone (deactivated, should only be able to dial 911 ... waiting for that one). Once he got the phone, there was no interest in food. You have to remember that he has always been fascinated with cell phones, but is usually monitored very closely and rarely gets to hold it for long ... and, he can tell the difference between the real one and the fake one ... this one was real! Eventually, we got the phone away from him and he did eat ... Later, after more playing, he turned to his Grandma and waved goodbye. He then proceeded to give out hugs and kisses. When asked, he indicated that he was ready to go home ... rapid head nod (Yes). He indicated the same when asked if he wanted to come back tomorrow. I guess he was ready to go ...