Skip to main content

Being a Computer Squid Father

Here is a task I think I was meant to take on.

I used to be a computer nerd ... pretty much in every way you can imagine one defined in the late 70s and early 80s.  Then, one day, my sister walked in and saw me managing three machines: one online, one being cleaned up, and one rendering a 3d modeled video I was creating.  Realize that this was sometime around 1986 when personal computers were really just coming into existence with some regularity.

She made a comment that stuck with me ... "you're not a computer nerd, you're a computer squid."

Computer Squid ... it stuck.  Over the years, I've joked about that comment with a brother's fondness ...

Now, I'm a father ... and being a computer squid has taken on a whole new meaning.  Working on projects that I used to just warn Jen about is now a thing of the past.  Projects are now assembling toys that take not just a Masters in Engineering, but a fluency in any one of a half dozen languages beyond English.  I also find myself having to fix things like the crib when the side rail is stuck. I work on computer projects with one ear our for his cry.  Because Patrick has a fondness for refrigerator magnets, I have to be distinctly aware of where he is and what he is doing when he is in the room and I am on the computer.

I purchased some heavy duty gaming equipment (mouse and keyboard) under the assumption that any child of mine will enjoy working (playing) on the computer.  I was right, but significantly earlier than I expected.  Patrick enjoys little more than sitting on my lap and slamming the keyboard and playing with the mouse.  He lights up as he watches the mouse move and various menus open and close.  I've learned to hold him and keep on finger on the escape key.

I never imagined a re-conceptualization of what being a computer squid would entail, but I am getting a real-life lesson in how I can apply the multi-tasking skills that I have developed using computers over the years.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Hello?"

We walked into my parents house ... looking for Papap. "Hello," we called. "'Ello," Patrick mimicked. "Hello," we called again, laughing a bit. "'Ello," Patrick mimicked again, delighted that he could get us laughing that easily. Out in the back yard, he went for the shovel (small blue plastic one I got for him a while back). "Maybe he should go shovel in the sand-box," Papap said ... Off he went to the sand-box, lugging the shovel. Later I asked him if he wanted raisins. Shaking his head no, he headed for the fridge. "Eeze," he said ... Cheese, he intended. His comprehension and vocal capacity is growing by leaps and bounds!

Terror or Anger

Jennifer and I woke about twenty minutes ago to Patrick crying ... nothing unusual. I asked her to get him since I have to start getting ready for work in about three hours (yes, I have to work on a Saturday). Where things became unusual was the loud, sustained crash, and Patrick's cries rising to a hefty scream. Being the concerned parent that I am ... with visions of his changing table collapsed on top of him, I rushed to their aid. "What was that?" I cried. Jennifer, weakly replied, "I fell down the stairs." With Patrick screaming at the top of his lungs, I think I actually asked her to repeat what she said. I found my wife sitting, with her legs out and my son in her arms, at the bottom of the stairs. Asking if she and Patrick were OK was mixed into confused questioning about what happened. Somehow, her feet went out from under her (we suspect a couple of the leaves that Patrick likes to play with were on the steps). While my real concern was i

Grandma, Papap, and a Cell Phone

His visit with Grandma and Papap was cool. We played with everyone ... kind of bouncing in between. We ate dinner. This went well until I gave him Grandma's old cell phone (deactivated, should only be able to dial 911 ... waiting for that one). Once he got the phone, there was no interest in food. You have to remember that he has always been fascinated with cell phones, but is usually monitored very closely and rarely gets to hold it for long ... and, he can tell the difference between the real one and the fake one ... this one was real! Eventually, we got the phone away from him and he did eat ... Later, after more playing, he turned to his Grandma and waved goodbye. He then proceeded to give out hugs and kisses. When asked, he indicated that he was ready to go home ... rapid head nod (Yes). He indicated the same when asked if he wanted to come back tomorrow. I guess he was ready to go ...